Bought me an old Subaru for $1

Car talk
Pete
Site Admin

Bought me an old Subaru for $1

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:41 am

Owner spent a fortune trying to fix overheating. New radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat. Also has a new battery, fresh brakes and Michelin tires and other stuff. He has other cars so he said get the damn thing outta here. I fixed it in under 30 minutes with a couple tiny holes drilled in the thermostat flange. Turns out the 2.5L engine has a propensity to hold air pockets in the area of the bimetal spring on the thermostat. The tiny holes allow the air to go elsewhere. Some race car hobbyists use the same technique
0 x
"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon

Pete
Site Admin

Re: Bought me an old Subaru for $1

Post by Pete » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:09 pm

".....In the 1990s, an ad firm hired by Subaru found the all wheel drive cars were popular among lesbians. The company started including subtle marketing to this demographic.[22][23]...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru

maybe the all wheel drive lets them go deep into the bush :nesaitpas:
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Tried a tank of ethanol-free gasoline in the Subaru, mileage was no different.

Of course this was not a scientific test, strictly anecdotal. Based on the relaxed standards of proof now in place however, I'm sure you will take my word

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... fficiency/
0 x

Falstaff2
Associate

Post by Falstaff2 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 pm

It's likely that you have a seeping head gasket leak Mr Pete.

FWIW I'm a retired ASE Master Mechanic/shop owner with 30+ years experience. But I drilled the holes you described in every thermostat that I ever installed. Doing so drastically reduced the time to burp air after a repair and eliminated catastrophic damage resulting from a minor seeping leak on old "run em till they die" beater like a lot of us drive.

My only Subaru was acquired for free. The owner said I could have it if I got it out of his driveway that day. I spent $100 and sold it for $500 after driving it for 2 years. It had a push rod engine with a carburetor.
1 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:58 pm

Yep it leaks a tiny amount of coolant from a head gasket. I hardly ever have to add any longer and I'll tell you why:

I had a bottle of that fiber chit you put in the radiator, and I poured in a tiny amount. I really hate that stuff because it clogs up chit you dont want to clog. I started pouring and then changed my mind, so the bottle is still virtually full. To my amazement, it slowed the leak dramatically. I only add maybe a cup of coolant twice a month.
0 x

Falstaff2
Associate

Post by Falstaff2 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:09 pm

That old Subaru might outlast your neighbor's new Lexus Mr Pete. A customer sold me a 4 year old S-10 for $4000 long ago with less than 100k on it. I taught 2 kids to drive in it resulting in 2 clutches but 15 years and 150k miles later I sold it to a proud buyer for $1500. I sell most cars for more than I paid. I haven't financed a new personal vehicle for myself since 1974. My best so far was $2200 for a 1972 Bronco that I sold 10 years later for $5500.

I'll stop you before I bore you to death with junk lawn mowers.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:26 pm

The guy I got it from is incredulous. He spent a fortune on that car then parked it for 2 years
0 x

Falstaff2
Associate

Post by Falstaff2 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Some shops rush you to authorize a repair that is highly profitable to correct an insignificant and non critical issue while overlooking more critical and difficult but less profitable repairs. I saw a bill from a national tire dealership shop for 4 new tires and a complete brake system from the booster/master cylinder to calipers and pads on all four wheels on a car burning a quart of oil with every tank of gasoline. The car wasn't worth 1/2 what she paid for the repairs.

And Subarus are somewhat peculiar across the country but especially in the south.I replaced both timing belts on a Subaru that had been to 3 shops that refused to work on it already. That make car leaves a lot of good mechanics shaking their heads. If you saw how to install piston pins you might be surprised.
0 x