NOT POLITICS - Any MAC Experts Here?

Computers, electronics, gadgets....
nolaxride
Global Moderator

Re: NOT POLITICS - Any MAC Experts Here?

Post by nolaxride » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:25 pm

Scooter wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:26 pm
nolaxride wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:07 pm
Scooter wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:46 pm
I have an older MacBook Pro A1286 that I got from work. It booted up just fine, but with all the old users stuff. It had Sierra OS on it, I followed instructions on reinstalling the O/S. HOWEVER, now when I turn it on, I get the gray screen with the circle with the line through it. I did the OPT-CMD-R to install from the web. It did something for about 5 minutes, rebooted to nothing again. I do a CMD-R to get into disk manager, and nothing but a gray screen.

Anyone?
I'm guessing you don't have a backup. Sounds like the SSD might be fried.

Make sure the machine is completely shut down. Hold the power button down for 10 seconds or more.

Disconnect all peripheral devices, including bluetooth devices.

Start with rebooting into the recovery OS (CMD-R)

From the Recovery Screen, run the Disk Utility. Let it fix whatever it finds.

On the upper right, next to the battery icon is the wifi icon. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Try reinstalling from the disk image again.
It worked fine when I got it. Was working, and I was clearing it off and reloading Sierra. It won't even go into the disk utility now. No biggie, was just gonna tinker with it.
Oh... and make sure it's plugged in. Some of those old batteries don't hold much charge.

Love the keyboards on those old macs...
0 x
-- 滑板車是個文盲

Scooter
Underboss

Post by Scooter » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:52 am

nolaxride wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:25 pm
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
I have an older MacBook Pro A1286 that I got from work. It booted up just fine, but with all the old users stuff. It had Sierra OS on it, I followed instructions on reinstalling the O/S. HOWEVER, now when I turn it on, I get the gray screen with the circle with the line through it. I did the OPT-CMD-R to install from the web. It did something for about 5 minutes, rebooted to nothing again. I do a CMD-R to get into disk manager, and nothing but a gray screen.

Anyone?

Make sure the machine is completely shut down. Hold the power button down for 10 seconds or more.

On the upper right, next to the battery icon is the wifi icon. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

It worked fine when I got it. Was working, and I was clearing it off and reloading Sierra. It won't even go into the disk utility now. No biggie, was just gonna tinker with it.
Oh... and make sure it's plugged in. Some of those old batteries don't hold much charge.

Yeah they are friggin solid. It may be from 2011 but it's still a righteous Macbook
0 x
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men and women were created by the go-, uh, you know the, you know the thing!

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:15 am

Scooter wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:52 am
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Anyone?

Yeah they are friggin solid. It may be from 2011 but it's still a righteous Macbook
It is. And it's one of the few that can still be upgraded. It was just after 2011 that Apple integrated the sims with the motherboard. You should be able to upgrade the ram and the SSD.
0 x
-- 滑板車是個文盲

Scooter
Underboss

Post by Scooter » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:42 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:15 am
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Anyone?

It is. And it's one of the few that can still be upgraded. It was just after 2011 that Apple integrated the sims with the motherboard. You should be able to upgrade the ram and the SSD.
Picking your brain again. I have tried everything. All keyboard combinations. Had a brand new 2TB external USB drive in the box, unopened. Opened it, broke out the HDD and put it in the MacBook. I did the option+⌘+R key combination. Got the globe, then the apple logo then goes to a blank screen... I am about to give up LOL
0 x
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men and women were created by the go-, uh, you know the, you know the thing!

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:36 pm

Scooter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:42 pm
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Anyone?

Picking your brain again. I have tried everything. All keyboard combinations. Had a brand new 2TB external USB drive in the box, unopened. Opened it, broke out the HDD and put it in the MacBook. I did the option+⌘+R key combination. Got the globe, then the apple logo then goes to a blank screen... I am about to give up LOL
Are you connected to the internet? IIRC, you should be able to install from the net. When you say you put it in the Macbook, did you open the machine and install it or just connect via USB?
0 x
-- 滑板車是個文盲

Scooter
Underboss

Post by Scooter » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:49 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:36 pm
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Anyone?

Are you connected to the internet? IIRC, you should be able to install from the net. When you say you put it in the Macbook, did you open the machine and install it or just connect via USB?
Opened it up and replaced the internal HDD. Found out that if you replace with a new HDD you have to have a second drive/USB with an image on it to restore to. Reason that no key commands are working is because it cannot find any recovery/boot partitions on the new drive. A friend has a computer shop and I called him yesterday. He told me all that and is gonna do it for me on Monday. This is why I hate MacBooks...
1 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:23 pm

Scooter wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:49 pm
nolaxride wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:36 pm
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Anyone?

Opened it up and replaced the internal HDD. Found out that if you replace with a new HDD you have to have a second drive/USB with an image on it to restore to. Reason that no key commands are working is because it cannot find any recovery/boot partitions on the new drive. A friend has a computer shop and I called him yesterday. He told me all that and is gonna do it for me on Monday. This is why I hate MacBooks...
When Macbooks work, they're great. And, like you've experienced, when they don't they're very frustrating. Sounds like your friend has a boot drive, so your problems should be solved. I made that mistake many years ago... the machine made a great frisbee. The dog wasn't sure what to do with it.
0 x
-- 滑板車是個文盲

Chester Cheesewright
Underboss

Post by Chester Cheesewright » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:54 pm

Scooter wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:11 pm
Chester Cheesewright wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:55 pm
► A prohibitory symbol, which looks like a circle with a line or slash through it, means that your startup disk contains a Mac operating system, but it's not a version or build of macOS that your Mac can use. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.Aug 17, 2023

https://support.apple.com/en-us/101666# ... urns%20off.
Seen that and I did an install from the web... OPTION-COMMAND-R and it went online to get the install

► Take it to an Apple Store and show it to one one of the techs on the floor
0 x
► Watching fat cats get taxed touches the very depths of a Republican’s soul

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:04 pm

Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:54 pm
Scooter wrote:
► A prohibitory symbol, which looks like a circle with a line or slash through it, means that your startup disk contains a Mac operating system, but it's not a version or build of macOS that your Mac can use. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.Aug 17, 2023

Seen that and I did an install from the web... OPTION-COMMAND-R and it went online to get the install

That machine is probably older than the techs at the store.
0 x
-- 滑板車是個文盲

Chester Cheesewright
Underboss

Post by Chester Cheesewright » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:28 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:04 pm
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:54 pm
Scooter wrote:

That machine is probably older than the techs at the store.
► Yes, most likely

You never can tell, though. Last time I went in to an Apple Store it was because my tablet screen was black and wouldn’t respond to anything I tried

But the tech on the floor who fixed it was an old fart in jeans and sandals

He said let me see, ran his fingers over the three buttons on one corner and handed it back to me

It only took a few seconds
0 x
► Watching fat cats get taxed touches the very depths of a Republican’s soul