Fla Red Flag Law Has Led To Massive Gun Confiscation Since Enacted

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
Evil
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

Re: Fla Red Flag Law Has Led To Massive Gun Confiscation Since Enacted

Post by Evil » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:27 pm

KC_ wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:25 pm
Evil wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:17 pm
Sounds like it's working. Other states should examine it, make any necessary tweaks, and implement it. One tweak would be making sure all counties and municipalities are participating.
You shouldn’t lose your second amendment rights for posting something stupid on Twitter.
With rights come responsibilities.
1 x
"Then I have an Article 2, where I have the right to do whatever I want as president." - Would-be-King Donny

KC_
God-Like

Post by KC_ » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Evil wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:27 pm
KC_ wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:25 pm
Evil wrote:
Sounds like it's working. Other states should examine it, make any necessary tweaks, and implement it. One tweak would be making sure all counties and municipalities are participating.
You shouldn’t lose your second amendment rights for posting something stupid on Twitter.
With rights come responsibilities.
Sure but wondering you don’t do something shouldn’t take away your Constitutional rights.
1 x
“I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees “
Stephane Charbonnier

psk836
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Post by psk836 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Evil wrote:
Agreed.

There also need to be protections against abuse. I would be concerned about zealots rationalizing a full scale confiscation program because "all gun owners are a threat" kind of thing.
0 x

Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:47 pm

psk836 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:42 pm
Evil wrote:
Agreed.

There also need to be protections against abuse. I would be concerned about zealots rationalizing a full scale confiscation program because "all gun owners are a threat" kind of thing.
Judicial oversight makes that far less likely and the order is only temporary.
1 x
"Then I have an Article 2, where I have the right to do whatever I want as president." - Would-be-King Donny

psk836

Post by psk836 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Evil wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:47 pm
psk836 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:42 pm
Evil wrote:
Agreed.

Judicial oversight makes that far less likely and the order is only temporary.
Yes it helps, and there were no references to abuse in the article, which is nice. As we have seen with the FISA Court though, judicial oversight is not necessarily a be all and end all. As you can see from my posts dating back to the Parkland event, I am a proponent of intercession actions based on behavior and declarations of intent. I am open to ideas on oversight/penalties for abuse and escalation beyond original intent of the law.
1 x

DallasDimeBags
Imperial Majesty

Post by DallasDimeBags » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:00 pm

psk836 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:25 pm
donttreadonme wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm
psk836 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 pm
https://apnews.com/6560501986455adcb0ef57fdb370035a

"A 23-year-old man who posted on Facebook, “I don’t know why I don’t go on a killing spree.” A West Palm Beach couple who shot up their home while high on cocaine. A 31-year-old Gulf Coast man who pointed a semiautomatic rifle at a motorcyclist.

All four Florida residents had their guns taken away by judges under a “red flag” law the state passed three weeks after authorities say a mentally disturbed man killed 17 people in a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland two years ago Friday.

The law, supported by legislators of both parties , has been applied more than 3,500 times since, with the pace accelerating during the last half of 2019. Even so, an Associated Press analysis of the law showed its use is inconsistent, with some counties and cities using it rarely and others not at all."

"But the law also has vocal critics: those who say it violates the U.S. and state constitutions, including the right to bear arms, and others who argue that laws already on the books in Florida made it unnecessary. Still others say it discriminates against the poor: Because the hearing with a judge is not a criminal proceeding, low-income defendants aren’t provided with a free lawyer.

Sixteen other states plus the District of Columbia have similar laws, 11 of which were enacted after the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting at Stoneman Douglas. President Donald Trump has at times supported a federal proposal, but has not strongly advocated it before Congress."
Poor pissy, his overloaded GIGO brain thinks these are examples of unfairness. :violent1:
:leghump: :rolling:
"A 23-year-old man who posted on Facebook, “I don’t know why I don’t go on a killing spree.” A West Palm Beach couple who shot up their home while high on cocaine. A 31-year-old Gulf Coast man who pointed a semiautomatic rifle at a motorcyclist."
Actually I did not offer an opinion at all. I simply informed you about what is actually happening in Florida since Parkland.

You're welcome.

But if you want to know what I think (just kidding), here is what I had to say at the time.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60260&hilit=parkland
Tready sometimes lies and says people are certain things are do certain things or have said certain things when in fact he has just made up a lie.

BUT the boy is amusing on a scale that no other posters here can compete with IMNSHO. SO he has THAT going for him-Which is nice.<G>

Hey -I wonder if he will become so obsesses with you that he starts a thread with a link to pages upon pages of your comments on this forum.

What do you think?
0 x

Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:06 pm

DallasDimeBags wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:00 pm
psk836 wrote:
donttreadonme wrote:
psk836 wrote:

"A 23-year-old man who posted on Facebook, “I don’t know why I don’t go on a killing spree.” A West Palm Beach couple who shot up their home while high on cocaine. A 31-year-old Gulf Coast man who pointed a semiautomatic rifle at a motorcyclist.

All four Florida residents had their guns taken away by judges under a “red flag” law the state passed three weeks after authorities say a mentally disturbed man killed 17 people in a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland two years ago Friday.

The law, supported by legislators of both parties , has been applied more than 3,500 times since, with the pace accelerating during the last half of 2019. Even so, an Associated Press analysis of the law showed its use is inconsistent, with some counties and cities using it rarely and others not at all."

"But the law also has vocal critics: those who say it violates the U.S. and state constitutions, including the right to bear arms, and others who argue that laws already on the books in Florida made it unnecessary. Still others say it discriminates against the poor: Because the hearing with a judge is not a criminal proceeding, low-income defendants aren’t provided with a free lawyer.

Sixteen other states plus the District of Columbia have similar laws, 11 of which were enacted after the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting at Stoneman Douglas. President Donald Trump has at times supported a federal proposal, but has not strongly advocated it before Congress."
Poor pissy, his overloaded GIGO brain thinks these are examples of unfairness. :violent1:
"A 23-year-old man who posted on Facebook, “I don’t know why I don’t go on a killing spree.” A West Palm Beach couple who shot up their home while high on cocaine. A 31-year-old Gulf Coast man who pointed a semiautomatic rifle at a motorcyclist."
Actually I did not offer an opinion at all. I simply informed you about what is actually happening in Florida since Parkland.

You're welcome.

But if you want to know what I think (just kidding), here is what I had to say at the time.

Tready sometimes lies and says people are certain things are do certain things or have said certain things when in fact he has just made up a lie.

BUT the boy is amusing on a scale that no other posters here can compete with IMNSHO. SO he has THAT going for him-Which is nice.<G>

Hey -I wonder if he will become so obsesses with you that he starts a thread with a link to pages upon pages of your comments on this forum.

What do you think?
Maybe he'll become so obsessed that he'll start "straight up" lying about his "world"? :lo2l:
0 x

psk836

Post by psk836 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:36 am

DallasDimeBags wrote:
psk836 wrote:
donttreadonme wrote:
psk836 wrote:

You're welcome.

What do you think?
I don’t think he has the attention span.
1 x

DallasDimeBags
Imperial Majesty

Post by DallasDimeBags » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:58 pm

psk836 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:36 am
DallasDimeBags wrote:
psk836 wrote:
donttreadonme wrote:
psk836 wrote:

You're welcome.

What do you think?
I don’t think he has the attention span.
Fair point.
0 x