Presumed Guilty

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
psk836
Underboss

Presumed Guilty

Post by psk836 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

https://nypost.com/2024/03/27/real-esta ... me-by-829/

“Comedian Jon Stewart ranted this week that Donald Trump’s civil real-estate case overvaluing his properties was “not victimless,” yet when it came to his own home, Stewart benefited from a similar inflation.”

“But it didn’t take long for internet sleuths to look into Stewart’s own property history, which shows his New York City penthouse sold for 829% more than its assessed value, records confirmed by The Post reveal.

In 2014, Stewart sold his 6,280-square-foot Tribeca duplex to financier Parag Pande for $17.5 million.“

“The property’s asking price at that time is not available in listing records.

But according to 2013-2014 assessor records obtained by The Post, the property had the estimated market-value at only $1.882 million.”

“The actual assessor valuation was even lower, at $847,174.“

“Records also show that Stewart paid significantly lower property taxes, which were calculated based on that assessor valuation price — precisely what he called Trump out for doing in his Monday monologue.“

‘“Did @jonstewart commit fraud when he sold his penthouse for $17.5M? NY listed its market value at $1.8M an AV at around 800k… Who did he defraud?? I am SHOCKED,” he wrote.

“This is right in [Letitia James’] jurisdiction! I look forward to the grand jury indictment,” a user quipped in response to the tweet.“
1 x

stuporstitionist
Caporegime

Re: Presumed Guilty

Post by stuporstitionist » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

Selling a property above its assessed value is not fraudulent. There was no deception. The buyer willingly paid more than the assessed value.

Altering financial statements to misrepresent asset values for financial gain is fraudulent.

See the difference?
Last edited by stuporstitionist on Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Trump on Putin: “I was the apple of his eye.”

clusterchuck
Caporegime

Post by clusterchuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

psk836 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am
https://nypost.com/2024/03/27/real-esta ... me-by-829/

“Comedian Jon Stewart ranted this week that Donald Trump’s civil real-estate case overvaluing his properties was “not victimless,” yet when it came to his own home, Stewart benefited from a similar inflation.”

“This is right in [Letitia James’] jurisdiction! I look forward to the grand jury indictment,” a user quipped in response to the tweet.“
Jon Stewart is a really punny guy.
ARE YOU CATCHING ON YET.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Law of War. Military Occupancy. COG active. Mil-Civ Alliance

thelionofthenorth
Global Moderator

Post by thelionofthenorth » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

Yet another day of Cons proving their ignorance: today’s trope, the difference between assessed value for taxes, vs market value.
3 x
stultitia non pertinet misericordiae

stuporstitionist
Caporegime

Post by stuporstitionist » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

One more point:

Jon Stewart wasn't trying to get a loan against the property.

Reminder: The crime is when you claim one value for taxes and a different one for collateral.
0 x

clusterchuck
Caporegime

Post by clusterchuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

In what jurisdiction does a property owner establish the value of their property for tax purposes?
1 x
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Law of War. Military Occupancy. COG active. Mil-Civ Alliance

stuporstitionist
Caporegime

Post by stuporstitionist » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

clusterchuck wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am
In what jurisdiction does a property owner establish the value of their property for tax purposes?
In my town you file an appeal with the tax office at City Hall if you think the government assessment is wrong.
0 x